Valentine’s Day is approaching soon and it will be time to start thinking of our loved ones. Sending a special love note to a someone in your child’s life can be a big deal for a child. Here’s a fun way to create a one of a kind card to give or mail to someone special.
Sending a special message to a love one is an important step for your child to learn to think of others and express their feelings and gratitude. We’ve been practicing mailing letters to family and friends and even a few “pretend friends” with our Melissa & Doug mailbox this month, working on beginning letter sounds.
You may have noticed that our beads say “thank you”. We are using our cards for a quick Thank You Card for Holiday Gifts or even Birthday Gifts. They would work perfect for Valentines’ Day too by adding the word “love” or “xoxo”. To create your Water Color Heart Card you’ll just need a few simple materials.
Water Color Hearts Card Craft
1. Encourage your child to use the water colors to paint on a blank piece of paper. They can be as creative as they want. The paint should be slightly wet on the paper when they are finished.
2. On the wet paint have your child sprinkle salt onto it and observe the reaction. Allow the paper to dry. When dry, shake off any excess salt.
3. While the paint is drying have your child write a special message inside the card to a loved one. You can use Melissa & Doug Alphabet Stamps to stamp out the word LOVE and their names. Then encourage your child to create a hand drawn image, too.
4. Once the paint is dry cut out hearts from the painted paper. For younger children you can create a stencil for them to trace hearts on the back on the paper.
5. Gather a string and beads to create your message onto the card. You can use words like “love,” “xoxo” or even “thank you”. Using tape attach the string on the inside of the card.
6. Then attach the water color hearts to the string too using tape or glue. Now your heart card is all set to give to someone special.
Encourage your child to express their love and appreciation towards others this year. You will be sure to make someone’s day very special!
* * *
Like this post? Pin it!