Learn how to create your own fun and unique Origami birthday invites, in this post from our special guest blogger Jillian of A Mom With a Lesson Plan.
Creating fun and unique birthday invites is one of my favorite parts of planning a party! When I was invited to join the Melissa & Doug Ultimate Birthday Bash I knew these special Origami Birthday invites were the perfect thing to share!
Along with 51 brightly colored sheets of origami paper, the Melissa & Doug Origami Paper kit comes with directions for how to make 5 different origami projects. The projects range from beginner to advanced. I picked the fortune cookie project to make our adorable birthday invites!
1. Start with the colored side of the paper facing up.
2. Fold in half, crease and unfold.
3. Fold in half the other way, crease and unfold.
4. Fold in half diagonally, crease, and unfold.
5. Fold in half diagonally the other way, crease and unfold.
6. Turn the paper so the white side is up. Fold one corner to meet the center point and crease. This time do NOT unfold.
Repeat step 6 until all corners have been folded in.
7. Turn paper over so that folded sides are on the bottom.
8. Fold one corner to meet the center point and crease. Do NOT unfold.
Repeat step 8 until all corners have been folded in.
9. Fold square in half so that triangle flaps are facing each other.
10. Slip thumbs and pointer finger inside flaps and pinch together (use two hands for this).
Turning your Fortune Cookie into Birthday Invites
There was quite a bit of trial and error lining the words up right (more error than I would care to admit). If you follow the photo you will save yourself some time… and a few wasted invitations.
I used several colors of Melissa & Doug Origami Paper and a black permanent marker. To match a theme select single colored origami paper and use a colored marker.
How fun is that?!?!
All that’s left is to slide the origami fortune cookie into an envelope and send it off to your guests!
→ Check out these other fun origami craft posts!
We’d love to see your origami craft creations! Share yours with us on Instagram using the hashtags #TakeBackChildhood, #CountlessWaysToPlay and #MelissaAndDoug!
* * *
Like this post? Pin it!